Russ and I started dating six years ago then got married three years ago. I truly thought our lives were complete just the two of us for a few years until we decided to grow our family. We moved back to Atlanta, both making careers for ourselves then we found a house we wanted to call home. After we bought the house, Russ went to Law School and I continued to develop my career at Coke. We got into our normal routines, traveled to visit friends and family, and were content just the two of us.
Then Russ started asking for a dog. If you know me, I was not one for dogs. I had a childhood dog growing up and he was a wonderful dog. Bud guarded the house if a stranger walked by, he slept next to your bed if you were the only one at the house, he let you know when he needed to go out, his electric fence was broken yet he didn't escape, he didn't jump on your or try to lick you, he was there to provide comfort and happiness. He was actually my Dad's dog more than anything. With other people's dogs, I did not like for them to jump on my lap, or want to hold one, I definitely didn't want one licking me. I dealt with dogs but really didn't care to be around them let alone get one. Russ had been asking for a dog for a couple of months but he knew how I felt towards them. He finally convinced me that he would take care of him, and he didn't have class during the day so could be at home with him and help train him. On Christmas last year, I finally decided to give in. I went out and bought dog toys and a card telling Russ we can finally get a dog. I didn't realize my live was about to change.
Melinda helped me find a dog on PetFinder. Russ and I had a couple picked out to go check out in January. He wanted a medium size dog and I wanted a black lab, so we thought we would compromise with a beagle/lab mix that Melinda found a litter of. We called the lady and she was going to have all the dogs at PetsMart that Saturday, so we went to check him out. She had one of the puppies left, all the others had been adopted. This puppy "Had me at hello!" We quickly signed the papers and got all the puppy necessaities and headed home. Well that was a year ago today. Willie joined our family on January 23, 2010 and has completed our family.
Willie and I have a bond that I never thought I could have with a dog. I treat him like he is our kid. We had a birthday celebration for him, at Christmas he had a stocking and everyone on both sides of the family bought him gifts, I take his picture when he is playing in the snow, sleeping all cute on his bed, laying on Russ, or just so we can watch him grow. At nights, the two of us lay on the couch and watch TV together. He cuddles up next to me. In the mornings he will come and wake me up and put both paws on teh bed and look at me like a little kid would to wake up their parents. He absolutely loves my Dad, and he loves going to Camp Granddad's while we are out of town. Now he ended up not being a lab/beagle mix, but we still love him, all 25 pounds of cutest as our Vet says. Who would of thought that I would become such a dog person. I can truly say "You Complete Me." Now I know I have quoted two lines from Jerry Maquire, but I truly feel that he had us at hello and he completes me. I now understand people's love for their pets and how they treat them like their children. Willie has also helped us meet lots of our neighbors, which has helped our social lives and enjoy our neighborhood so much. I am so glad that we adopted cute little Willie a year ago!
 |
| PetFinder Picture - Willie is the middle puppy (5 weeks old) |
 |
| The Day we brought Willie home, Russ calling everyone (8 weeks old) |
 |
| We got Willie blessed at church at Blessings of the Animals (6 months old) |
 |
| Willie loves the look out the bay window |
3 comments:
AW, Brit!! This is such a sweet post. Willie is a lucky little boy to have such sweet parents!
Spicy is looking forward to meeting Willie! and so am I
So this leaves me the only one without a little doggy... Hmmm...
Post a Comment