Saturday, March 14, 2009

Favorite Gas Station

Last weekend, Russ and I visited our good friend, Rachel, in Wilmington, North Carolina. Russ was on Spring Break and I used my first vacation day for the year to go visit Rachel. We left on Thursday night so we would not waste the entire day on Friday traveling.

We got there late Thursday night so Rachel was a little tired for work on Friday. While Rachel was at work, Russ and I visited Downtown Wilmington. We walked along the streets and river and had lunch at a restaurant along the river. It was so nice having a day off from work and Russ not studying!

Russ in front of the bridge along the river

Once Rachel got off work we got to catch up with her. It was so nice to just sit on her porch, drink a beer, and catch up like old times. That evening, we went and watched Rachel play volleyball, her new addiction :) It was at a really neat place, I think every town needs a place like it. It was at Captain Bill's, it was restaurant/bar place with about 7 sand volleyball courts. It is a great place to just hang out with friends, drink, and play volleyball if you want. We spent the entire night there and had a blast.

Rachel playing volleyball in her neat sand socks!

Rachel and I hanging out inside at Captain Bill's

On Saturday, we had our very own tour guide show us the ins and outs of Wilmington and the beaches nearby. She created an jammed pack itinerary for us. We started the day by going to Wrightsville Beach and went on a nice walk along the beach then had lunch at Oceanic (sounds like a restaurant for the show Lost) it has a pier with tables on it over the beach and ocean. It was a neat atmosphere and great food! After lunch, we continued our tour of Wilmington, saw were Rachel works and the outdoor mall there (our friend Will help develop when he was an intern). The weather was so nice we spent the entire day outside. After those adventures we went to the other beach, Carolina Beach. It is a bit different than Wrightsville Beach, it is best described as a smaller Myrtle Beach. While we were there we went to a this neat bar, Fat Pelican. You walk in go into a trailer and pick out your beer you want then go to the bar and pay for it. Anyone that goes to Carolina Beach needs to experience it. That evening we went and had Mexican, I think that is a tradition with our college friends. Whenever we are together we seem to eat Mexican for at least one meal! We met a couple more friends of Rachel there for dinner. She has a lot of them there! We finished off our amazing day with a good game of Scrabble, and guess who won....ME! I actually bet two of the top Scrabble players!

Rachel and I on Wrightsville Beach

Rachel and Russ in the trailer at Fat Pelican picking out their beer

Sunday was a sad day, we lost an hour due to daylight savings time and had to say our goodbyes to the nice weather, Spicy, and RACHEL :( Russ being the concerned one he is about gas prices asked Rachel what her favorite gas station was. I do not know about you, but I really do not have a favorite gas station or a loyalty to any gas station, so we gave Russ a hard time about that. We ended up getting gas at the Wal-Mart place, hope that satisfied his gas station visit :)

Russ and Spicy (Russ was in heaven all weekend playing with a dog!)

We had such a wonderful weekend visiting Rachel. It was so nice to get away and visit a friend all at the same time. We are already planning our next trip back! Thanks Rachel for being such a wonderful host and friend! We miss you already!


2 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

I loooove your blog =) And especially this post. Cute pictures! Come back ASAP. I love you both.