I am still behind on blogging but thought I would blog about two of our vacations this summer. For the Fourth of July, Russ and I met up with his family in Gatlinburg for the extended weekend. It was nice to get everyone together as this does not happen often. Steve, Jill, Russ, Darren, Mary, Alex, Rebecca, Scot, and myself all were in town for the weekend. Thursday night just involved everyone getting into town since we all worked in the morning and drove in that afternoon. That night we just spent time catching up.
Friday, we all went to Dollywood. It was the first time for Russ and I to go even though we lived in Knoxville for four years. I thought it was going to be a dirty, ragged park but I was very impressed. I learned, it is more of a theme park rather than an amusement park. It was very clean and family friendly. The weather was very nice as well for it being July. We rode all the rides and even got Mary and Alex on them too (this is a might accomplishment as they are not big roller coaster fans). One of Alex's favorite things is to play the games around the park so he played a lot of those. I hardly play the games and thought I should join in on one with the guys. Darren and Russ started to play the game where you toss the ring and try to get it around the neck of a bottle. Alex stepped up and started playing then I followed. I picked one up and asked how you play but before anyone could answer I threw it and made it first time!!! Everyone just looked at me in shock. I could not believe I did it either. I won an electric guitar!! I picked a pink one then realized that I would probably not be the one playing it so I exchanged it for a black one. After the shock wore off of everyone's face they all explained that this was a hard thing to actually do, what can I say "beginner's luck" I guess! We continued to ride rides and left the park just before it closed. We ended the evening for a good dinner at the Ole Mill.
Saturday was a low key day, as it was the 4th of July. We all got dressed and headed into town. We started off our trip in town with a Dunlap Tradition, putt-putt. We played two games of putt-putt then met up with the Shaws. Since we were going to stay in town unitl the fireworks we killed time by going to the aquarium and other Ripley's places. Of course, there was window shopping and some shopping but the best part was the people watching. Boy are there some interesting people in downtown Gatlinburg... We watched the fireworks then headed back to the cabin.
Sunday we ate at a pancake place and said our goodbyes. It was a nice weekend together since it will be a long time until we are all together again. Mary and Darren moved to Tampa, FL in early August so when we go visit Hendersonville they won't always be there :( We ended our weekend with a beautiful drive home through the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than the interstate.
No comments:
Post a Comment