You hear the saying that Life is Short and most people really do not think anything of it. We have had a couple of deaths lately that really touched me and made me realize this is true.
Today marks the one year anniversary of my cousin Jason's passing. He was diagnosed with melanoma cancer in Spring 2007. He later passed away on August 31, 2008 at the age of 32. Jason was surrounded by tons of family and friends his entire life. Mom, Kara, and I were able to make it to Nashville for his final days. While we were at the hospice we got to know more of Jason's friends and here great stories. Jason lived life to the fullest and was known for his saying "No Fun Haters." A motto, I like to live by now. Jason was such a fun cousin. When I was growing up, I would go to Fayetteville and spend a week or two with Granny and all my cousins. I remember my other cousin, Rebecca, and I could not wait for Jason to come over and hang out with us and so excited when he would stay over. At Christmas we would wait by the door in the living room until he came or continuously asked when he would be here. He came to some of my soccer games, high school graduation, and all kinds of other events. Jason will never be forgotten but glad to know he is in comfort now and with our Granny.
My cousin, Jason
One of our family friends lost their daughter to cancer in April 2008. Taylor Brooks was an amazing young girl. She was diagnosed with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor cancer in July 2007. While Taylor was battling cancer she organized a holiday party for the patients and parents at the AFLAC Cancer Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and organized fund raising to bridge the technology budget gap for the new AFLAC Cancer Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. She did not lot cancer slow her down. Taylor passed away on April 1, 2008 at the age of 14. Since her passing, her parents formed The Taylor Brooks Foundation,
http://www.taylorbrooksfoundation.org/. The foundation was formed to provide visibility of childhood cancer, provide humanitarian support to patients and care-givers, extend resources to analyze and implement treatment options, and contribute resources to research new treatments. They continued her Holiday Party and has expanded it into the other Childrens Hospitals in Atlanta. They provide comfort kids to families that have to stay overnight and care packages for all holidays. Every Sunday, Melissa takes Krispy Kreme doughnuts to the center. Small things like this make all of the families days. This year, Jimmie Johnson will wear the Helmet of Hope during the Pepsi 500 at Auto Club Speedway on October 11, 2009. Selected charities will receive a grant of $1,048, will be featured on the back of the Helmet of Hope t-shirt and will receive proceeds from the sale of the t-shirt. The Taylor Brooks Foundation was selected as one of the charities. They actually drew my mom's entry (read this article:
http://www.jimmiejohnsonfoundation.org/News/News-Archives/Johnson-Continues-to-Decorate-Helmet-of-Hope.aspx). Taylor is an inspiration to us all and I am honored that I got to know Taylor and her family. Once again, another person that taught me life is too short but don't let it stop you from doing something good for others.
I know this blog is a little different than I usually blog about but I thought it was appropriate and in memory of Jason. Please do what you can to support the cure of cancer. Also, please keep my Uncle Jack in your prayers as he has been battling colon cancer for over eight years and what a fought he has put up against it. Here is his caringbridge site if you are interested in his amazing story and updates,
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ourjackstewart/ (you will need to register your email).
No comments:
Post a Comment