Sunday, September 20, 2009

In Sickness and In Health

After a couple of not so fun weeks in the Dunlap household, I am back! It has been very eventful around here so I am going to catch you all up. I apologize for being out of communication since Labor Day weekend. I appreciate all the emails, messages, and cards, it has been very helpful...

In Sickness and In Health

Some of you know about all my injuries growing up and how they all seem to happen at once. Well, that luck has returned...

It all started when I was a baby. When I was almost a year old, I tried to crawl out of my crib and ended up breaking my leg. Sometime during being a toddler, I had multiple ear infections and had surgery for tubes in my ears. Of course I had the normal childhood illnesses. A couple of them included when I was 4 I was at a birthday party after getting a yearly shot and I threw up on the director of my daycare's shoes then in 1st grade I threw up from the cafeteria to the clinic, left a lovely path to find me...

I really do not remember getting sick or having major injuries in middle school but as soon as high school came around they were happening left and right. It all started with a knee injury from playing soccer against boys then my high school boyfriend broke my nose (by accident). I later separated my shoulder, bursitis in my knees, severe bruises, three concussions (two ambulance rides), turf toe, and the list goes on. It was always a running joke that when Allison got injured I would just a week later. In college, I had a tiny tumor removed out of back then got the flu over Spring Break my junior year.

Well, the past three weeks that luck has returned. It has not been injuries but some type of medical issue. I have been on some type of drug for something. It started with getting poison ivy again, all over my arms and ankles. After about two weeks of it not going away I decided to go to the doctor to get steroids. When I was there, I was also diagnosed with the flu and put on Muscinex DM. Russ had the flu the week before so I was bound to get it. Once I finally got over the flu, I started to have pain in my lower back/upper tail bone area. It got so bad I could not sit down or lay on my back so Russ made me go to the doctor. They found a cyst in that area that was about three inches long and two inches wide. The doctors decided they needed to drain it and put me on an antibiotic. I have to go to a general surgeon next week to make sure it is OK and healing.

While I have been completely out of it, Russ has lived up to his vows "In Sickness and In Health." He has been changing out my bandages and continuing to drain it. He went and got dinner from wherever I wanted on Friday night and made me breakfast in bed on Saturday as well as cleaned the bathroom. He has been so helpful over the past week, I am so thankful for him! I hope this streak of things ends soon, I do not know how much longer he can put up with being a Jurctor.

1. Jurctor - A phrase made up by Russ Dunlap. A combination of being a Doctor of Medicine (To give medical treatment to) and Juris Doctor (The degree awarded to an individual upon the successful completion of law school)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

oooh Britt!!!! I love you. Feel better soon my friend!!